We have often heard it said that after July 4th, we are on the other side of summer and headed towards fall. The truth is that there is plenty of summer left. As a matter of fact, the first day of summer was June 21, 2011- we aren’t even a month in yet! Since the first day of fall is September 23, we have about 2 months and 2 weeks to get in all of the summertime fun that we can! Weakley County is a GREAT place to spend the summer! Because of this, we have compiled a Weakley County Bucket List- things that are a “must-do” before the summer ends.
Here’s the list…in no particular order:
1. Tater Town Special, Gleason TN – Held in August, it celebrates Gleason as the capital of sweet potato plants. Events include gospel singing, BBQ cookoff, parade, craft fair, class reunions, live entertainment, and more.
2. Tennessee Soybean Festival, Martin TN – Usually held in late August / early September. The Soybean Festival provides fun for the family, community BBQ, LIVE entertainment every night, street Fair, MTD Car Show; Parade, Mayor’s Luncheon, and more. This year, check out the music: Kansas, Uncle Kracker, Diamond Rio, and Mark Schultz. For more information, see the festival website: www.tnsoybeanfestival.org
(Don’t forget to get a SUPER LOW PRICED bag of books at the C.E. Weldon Library Book Fair- directly across from the music stage!)
3. Corn and Music Fest, Sharon TN – Held in September, the event seeks to promote tourism and community involvement with a cemetary walk, free city-wide BBQ, fireworks, health fair, pet show, corn-eating contest, quilt show street dance, parade 5K run, live entertainment, and more. Website: www.sharoncamfest.myevent.com
4. Visit the Ned Ray McWherter Room in Dresden. The room is a part of the Library in Dresden, TN. Ned Ray built and furnished the room as a gift to his home county. The room reveals photos ranging from family to presidents and foreign leaders.
5. Get a room at ‘Our Backyard Town Bed and Breakfast,’ Martin, TN – Offering a small wedding chapel or outdoor weddings, warm and cozy bed and breakfast featuring rustic, romantic cabins, and antique collections. A lifetime collection of 27 antique cars, 4 acres of antiques including a 1930’s drug store, the Corvette Shed, and much more.
6. Check out The Arts Co-Op on Lindell Street in Martin.
7. Take a walk around the quad on the campus of UT Martin.
8. Register to attend the Imagine Art Camp– Classes taught by Martin’s local artists. Monday, July 11-15: To register: e-mail or call: firstname.lastname@example.org or 731-819-0279.
9. Go to Family Fun Night, Saturday, August 6. There will be Karaoke, Oogie and Oogles Piddlepops clowns, face painting. 7 p.m., downtown Martin.
10. Watch a movie at The Cine Theatre in Martin.
11. Take a picnic to the park in Dresden, located on Evergreen Street.
12. Find out what is happening at the different town libraries: they often have meet-the-author and book signing events. Try the Greenfield, Sharon, Martin, and Dresden libraries.
13. Attend a City Board Meeting. Nothing makes a citizen feel more informed than finding out what is going on in their own city.
14. Shop for cheap! Try Daisy Mae’s in Martin, Yardsale Treasures in Dresden, The Clothing Exchange in Greenfield, and Flip Your Fashion in Gleason.
15. Take a walk. Get some air.
16. Try a new church. Try a new church every Sunday if you choose.
17. Play some cards or bingo at the Dresden Senior Citizens Center on Evergreen Street in Dresden.
18. Ride a bicycle!
19. Learn more about Weakley County!http://www.brbpub.com/tennessee/weakley/
20. Make homemade ice cream!! (This recipe allows you to make it in a plastic bag!!)http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html
Enjoy this summer. Get out and get a little sun. Wear sunscreen and bug spray and see what Weakley County has to offer. HAVE FUN!!
As always, thanks-
Weakley County, Tennessee