Ahhhhh, the fall. A chill in the air, scarves appearing on necks, colorful leaves in yards, and the anticipation of the coming holiday season.
Fall in Weakley County is particularly beautiful because of the lovely neighborhoods, roads, and countryside in every part of the county.
Since swimming is out and fun in the sun is limited, we have devised a fun Bucket List for Weakley Countians that won’t break the bank.
1. Take a scenic trail walk. The Brian Brown Memorial Greenway is 1.15 miles that starts at the Highway 431 and Skyhawk Parkway intersection and winds east through an old railroad bed and university farmland toward the city. This times of the year is especially beautiful. Get more info about the greenway here: http://www.martinparksandrecreation.com/BBMGW.html
2. Pumpkin carving and/or painting. Go pick out a pumpkin and then check out fantastic ideas on http://www.pinterest.com !
3. Try out a themed run, such as a Harvest Run or Turkey Trot. This website has the most up-to-date runs, walks, and 5Ks with registration forms and information that we have seen: https://www.facebook.com/WestTennessee5KsHalfMarathonsMarathons
If you aren’t a runner, the events are still a lot of fun to attend, volunteer, or even walk.
4. Ever tried Geocaching? It’s like a scavenger hunt for adults! A great way to get outside with an objective, take along your kids and it can be a lot of fun and a learning experience. Find out about local geocaching here: http://www.geocaching.com/
5. Why not go to the museum? The newly opened Discovery Park of America is located in Union City, Tennessee, and is a state of the art facility featuring amazing exhibits pertaining to local West Tennessee history. Get ticket prices and more at their website: http://www.discoveryparkofamerica.com/
6. Have a chili cook-off! Have your family, friends, neighbors and/or colleagues make up a pot of soup or chili and have a potluck or chili cook-off contest. It’s fun and any reason to have a good meal and company is a good reason!
7. Camp out in your backyard or at a family/friend’s house! It’s fun, cheap, and doesn’t require too much preparation or expense. Don’t forget the smores!
8. Host a costume party. Try out a themed party, or even have a potluck. It doesn’t have to be Halloween to have a costume party as long as you announce in advance!
9. Go photographing! Have a picnic and take some creative pictures. Remember that pictures make wonderful gifts!
10. Get a team of friends together and go play a sporting game! Soccer, tennis, football, basketball, baseball – they are all fun when you are playing with your friends. Hit up the Martin Recreational Complex and see if there is a field available.
11. Take a day trip to a small town nearby. Go antiquing, thrift store shopping, or go see a local attraction. A great example is Atwood’s Tennessee Safari Park – http://tennesseesafaripark.com. West Tennessee is rich with niche locales and historical attractions as well.
12. Take a ride on the Cotton Junction! With 102 stops, the Cotton Junction winds through West Tennessee and has no shortage of unique sights and historical landmarks. Start here: http://tntrailsandbyways.com/trail/4/cotton-junction. Hard copy maps are also available at the Department of Finance in Dresden or at the Weakley County Chamber of Commerce in Dresden.
13. Keep up with Family Night Out! Often times, the City of Martin will announce Family Night Out events for citizens. Check what’s going on here: https://www.facebook.com/FamilyNightOut
14. Go see a movie in Martin at the Cine Theatre! Tuesday night is discount night. And always pay with cash! You’ll get a 50 cent discount on every ticket you purchase!
15. Make a holiday wreath using materials in your own yard! Here are 30 beautiful wreaths: http://www.addicted2decorating.com/diy-fall-wreath-roundup.html and here is one for only $5: http://justmisty.com/5-dollar-fall-craft-easy-to-make-fall-wreath-with-a-wire-hanger/
16. Send a letter to an aunt, uncles, cousin, or another relative that you have been meaning to send. Include some pictures and a mix CD of your recent favorite tunes!
17. Check out this website with more great ideas: http://www.goexplorenature.com/2013/09/50-ideas-for-your-fall-outdoor-bucket-list.html
Did we leave anything out? Let us know!
Happy fall, Weakley County, Tennessee!